VERY NEEDY, VERY CLOSE

    "We were closer when we were poorer." The lady who told me that was
  speaking about her marriage, and she wasn't poor any more. You could tell
  that by looking at her. She was very affluent. But she was telling me that
  she and her husband were closer in the early days of their relationship
  when they were pinching pennies, and scraping by, and wondering how they
  were going to pay the rent, and fighting the wolf at the door. But they
  were at least fighting the wolf together.

  Now, since that conversation with that lady I've had many opportunities to
  quote her at, oh, women's luncheons and dinners. And I always see women's
  head nodding in agreement as if that's been the case in their life too.
  Apparently there's something about not having much that can make a
  relationship stronger.

  I'm Oluwafemi Olawale and I want to have A Word With You today about "Very
  Needy, Very Close."

  The Apostle Paul knew about poor making you close, in life's most
  important relationship that is. He talked about it in our word for today
  from the Word of God. It's in 2 Corinthians 12:9. He says, quoting the
  Lord, "But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is
  made perfect in weakness.' Therefore (Paul says) I will boast all the more
  gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power will rest on me. That
  is why, for Christ's sake I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in
  hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am
  strong."

  I've had the wonderful privilege of meeting believers from a lot of other
  countries: Haiti, Africa, India, a lot of places like that. And I've
  noticed something about them. It's something, honestly, that I covet. They
  seem to live in the supernatural more than I do, and more than most
  Christians I know in this country. They seem to pray powerfully and they
  expect and honestly they often get miracles. They're radically Christian.
  And I feel like a pale office worker who hasn't been out in the sun all
  year, standing next to someone who just got back from Florida with a deep
  spiritual tan. I want what they have. And one believer summed up their
  secret. He said, "Ron, we live in a poor village. We have no regular
  support. We don't have organizations or manuals or tools. We only have
  God." I can't get those words out of my heart, "We only have God."

  See, they're rich in God because they're poor in earth. They're very needy
  and they're very close to God. Now, our Christianity is active, and
  sophisticated, and well managed, well planned, well financed, and often
  pretty powerless. The early church had little machinery and much power. We
  seem to have much machinery and, yeah, little power.

  I guess there are three roads that we rich Christians can take. One, we
  can continue with our mediocrity, doing the biggest things that man can
  do. Two, we can learn God's power through a time when He strips us of all
  the earth things that we are depending on. Or three, we could use all God
  has given us, but put no trust in it.

  You know, couples can have a lot but hold it loosely and still love each
  other as if they were living on pork and beans. A Christian can live in
  America and have it all but ask God to teach them childlike dependency.
  All that we have blinds us to our total need - our desperate need - of
  God and His power. We're as needy as the Christian from India, barely
  surviving in his village. We just don't recognize it. We just don't admit
  it. We just don't acknowledge it. We just don't live like it.

  When you recognize how poor you are, you're really rich. Whether we live
  in a condo or a hut; whether we eat filet or rice, we only have God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE EVIL CALABASH !

HOW TO BUILD YOUR CV FOR LUCRATIVE JOB!

I'D RATHER BE SINGLE THAN HAVE A BROKEN COURTSHIP!